Today’s guest is Danny Hairston – Founder of the nonprofit SHRED Foundation.
Aj and I talk with Danny about the following:
- Parenting and snowboarding
- Vision boards and formulating the vision for SHRED
- Visualizing lines with Travis Rice.
- Perspective – Taking kids to Hunter for the first time.
- How Danny discovered the youth development space via Iowa.
- Cartoons and comics Star Wars Voltron X-Men
- C.H.I.L.L. NYC – how one action can change the direction of your life
- How skateboarding and snowboarding are great activity for life lessons
- Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock talk about skateboarding
- Controversial content and graphics in snowboarding culture.
- S.H.R.ED.= Snowboarders/skaters Helping Reimagine Education
- The book Shop Class as a Soulcraft – An inquiry to the value of work
- How to help the SHRED foundation
- IndieGoGo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shred-foundation-snow-skate-work
- Donate your used gear
Some of the quotes from the episode:
“The shops are where our culture lies.”
“Maybe we’ll become the first snowboard based tech school?”
“The kids have to see you as human”
“We wanted to reimagine what the education process could look like.”
“Everyone is trying to reimagine youth culture except the one culture that has to relate to kids.”
“If it’s in the best interest of the kids then you keep it moving.”
“It’s good that it’s edgy – cause I want kids to think.”
“Snowboarders and skateboarders are shaking up the status quo from day one.”
“I’m not taking skiers with me…I’m a snowboarder”
“…they’re told from day one – you can not fail…”
“Falling is the fun part.” Travis Rice
Find Danny and the Shred Foundation here:
Want to help the podcast grow? Just click the banner ad below before shopping on Amazon and the podcast will receive a small commission from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks in advance -Nate